The PHILCO MOD. 20M77 is a 20 Inches B/W television with 12 programs preselection keyboard program changer.
The set is fabricated using a BLAUPUNKT chassis, technology because of some PHILCO models were similar to Blaupunkt and therefore sharing the same or equivalent chassis.
The tuning search is performed extracting the keyboard unit and potentiometers are provided to tune each program alone after band selection.
It has even an incorporated steel telescopic antenna.
On the front of the screen there is a dark glass.
Here you can see a nice PHILCO Washing Machine.
Philco, the Philadelphia Storage Battery Company (formerly known as the Spencer Company and later the Helios Electric Company), was a pioneer in early battery, radio, and television production as well as former employer of Philo Farnsworth, inventor of cathode ray tube television. It is currently a brand of Philips.
Philco's rise to the top of radio makers was an amazing feat. While other makers like Atwater-Kent, Zenith Electronics, RCA, and many now-forgotten others (Freshman Masterpiece, FADA Radio, AH Grebe, etc.) sold many battery-powered radios in the early 1920s, Philco made only batteries, "socket power" units, and battery chargers. With the invention of the rectifier tube, which allowed radios to be operated from the wall socket, Philco knew their business was doomed, and decided in 1926 to get into the booming radio business. By 1930 they would sell more radios than any other maker and hold that first place position for over 20 years.
Philco built many iconic radios and TV sets, including the classic cathedral-shaped wooden radio of the 1930s (aka the "Baby Grand"), and the very futuristic (in a 1950s sort of way) Predicta series of television receivers.
Philco started experimenting with television in the early 30s and financed for a while the experiments of Philo T. Farnsworth, considered by many as the “father of television.”An experimental TV station was licensed to Philco in 1931, one of the first all-electronic television ;
Today, the Philco brand name is carried by several different companies and holding groups throughout the world.
Blaupunkt GmbH is a German manufacturer of electronics equipment, noted for its home and car audio equipment. It was a 100% subsidiary of Robert Bosch GmbH until March 1st, 2009 (Date of closing) when its Aftermarket and Accessories branch including the brand name were sold to Aurelius AG of Germany for an undisclosed amount. Founded in 1923 in Berlin as "Ideal", the company changed its name to "Blaupunkt" in 1938, German for "blue point" or "blue dot" after the blue dot painted onto its headphones that had passed quality control. After the Second World War, Blaupunkt moved its headquarters and production to the city of Hildesheim.
Today the majority of Blaupunkt products are manufactured overseas, with large manufacturing centers in Tunisia (speakers) [WTF !!! !!!] and Malaysia (speakers and electronics) [arrrrgggghhh!]. During the 1960 and 1970s, Blaupunkt had become the leading German manufacturer for car radios and car audio equipment. Blaupunkt was involved in the development of the Autofahrer-Rundfunk-Informationssystem traffic-information system for car radios, and provided this feature on their German-market car radios from the late 1970s. The company attempted to have ARI used in the USA but had only a few radio stations per major city involved.